Many of our clients are automotive repair professionals such as new and used car dealerships, independent auto repair shops, vintage automobile restoration and customization shops. However, we also service hundreds of retail clients who want top-quality engine repairs and rebuilds – and that's who this page of our site is really meant for. Here, we'll give you the basics of what's involved in a complete engine overhaul from removal to re-installation. In most cases, engine rebuilds are ready for pickup within 5 working days from the day your vehicle arrives.
Our complete engine remanufacturing process includes the following:
1) Removal of the engine assembly for teardown.
2) All external components removed and inspected for excessive wear.
3) Cylinder heads, oil pan removed - block, heads disassembled for steam cleaning and inspection.
4) All casings magnafluxed to verify structural integrity noting what components must be repaired or replaced.
5) Engine block machining including boring and honing.
ABOVE: After disassembly, cleaning and inspection, machining begins. Cylinders are bored to exacting tolerances followed by honing to provide the optimum surface. 6) Crankshaft machining including grind and micropolish bearing surfaces, chamfer oil passages.
7) Connecting rods machined, straightness and twist checked to confirm within specs - pistons mated to rods (new rings installed during final assembly).
8) Cylinder head(s) machined including resurfacing, remachining valve guides, valve seats recut (3 angle cut), install new high temp valve stem seals, replace needed valve springs. Install new camshaft/bearings (new lifters installed at final assembly).
ABOVE: Cylinder heads are surfaced and a complete valve job is performed including cutting valve seats and machining guides. We're experts in the repair of damaged cylinder heads that others would scrap.. and that saves you money!
WATCH A VIDEO OF THE ENGINE REMANUFACTURING PROCESS
VIDEO: Take a tour of our shop and see some of the steps involved in our engine rebuilding process. Choose 480p or 720p HD for best image quality (depending on your connection speed).
LEFT: Coast Motor Supply uses only quality parts that meet or exceed the specifications for quality, precision and durability as set forth by your vehicle's manufacturer. What that means is you're engine is restored to as new condition ready to provide years of trouble free service.
The photo to the left shows an engine that has gone through our rigorous cleaning, machining and inspection process, now ready for assembly. As your engine is built, several critical measurements are made to ensure exacting tolerances are maintained. Your engine is also bench tested at the "long block" stage – when the engine block and cylinder head assemblies are mated – to ensure proper oiling, compression and sealing exist. Once these tests are passed, the balance of assembly is completed, the engine is reinstalled and final adjustments are made prior to a thorough roadtest.
continued from left column...
9) Engine reassembled, new freeze plugs and oil galley plugs installed, new main and rod bearings installed. Install new timing chain/belt and related gears.
Bench testing on our QT-100 SimTest engine testing machine for proper oiling. Valves adjusted and compression checked. Seals and gaskets inspected for proper sealing with any leaks repaired.
11) Final engine assembly (components that need replacement or repair are brought to your attention, replaced if approved by you).
12) Engine re-installed, final mechanical checks and adjustment performed followed by a thorough road test.
When you come to pick up your vehicle, we'll go over your bill and answer any questions you may have. In addition, we'll instruct you on how to properly break-in your newly remanufactured engine and when to get your first oil change.
We use only high-quality or OEM parts in our rebuilds and each engine we rebuild comes with a 12 Month/Unlimited Mileage Warranty. For more protection, extended warranties are available. The bottom line? Coast Motor Supply stands behind the work we do, giving you peace of mind and years of trouble free service.
Ready to give your car or truck new life?
Call us for a free quote at 1 818 703-9049 or Toll Free at 1 800 877-9054